About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, February 2, 2015

Homemade General Tso's Sauce

Because there is a vegetarian in the house, and because I am not a full time vegetarian, sometimes I crave a little meat.  That is what I tell myself. My way of "fixing" the problem is that every few months I will take a book and go to a Chinese buffet and eat too much food.

Recently I had a near-fainting episode and thought my blood sugar was too low.  In order to stave off something worse, I went to the buffet.  After picking through several serving dishes to load my plate with broccoli and a few bits of meat, plus a bowl with dumplings and dipping sauce, I had a nice time munching and listening to Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover since I had by a fluke brought my headphones with me in my purse.

Dave Ramsey really caught my attention. I wish I had read that book much earlier in life, but there is so much we can still use even at this period in life.  This is a financial makeover book as well as a weight loss book, if you are listening.

So, eating all that broccoli and the little bits of meat was lovely, except for the too-full felling afterwards.  As I sat there, I realized that it was the sauces that appeal to me.  I had previously learned to make the dumpling dipping sauce into which I dip steamed broccoli at home.  I figured I needed to find a General Tso's sauce recipe.  Which I did.  Actually several sauces which I sort of mish-mashed together then fine tuned to my taste.

PACC Version General Tso's Sauce

1 15-ounce can vegetable broth (I think chicken broth would be better)
3 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 Tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
1 Tablespoon sesame oil
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
2 teaspoons minced garlic (this time I used pre-minced from a jar.  Freshly minced would be better.)
1 teaspoon Sambal Oeleck
1/2 teaspoon dried red chili pepper flakes

2 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed into 3 Tablespoons water

Combine everything except the cornstarch and water in a 2 quart saucepan.  Bring to a boil.  Mix the cornstarch with hot water until it is smooth then stir into the sauce and cook until slightly thickened.  This tastes pretty good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: