About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Cabbage Soup Project

Recently I acquired two big beautiful cabbages.  This happened at the same time that I wanted to "clean out" our freezer.  Since I had several containers of frozen vegetables, it seemed like the right thing to do.

Below is the recipe I used as a starting point.


Original recipe

Directions

  1. Place all in large stock pot and bring to a boil.
  2. Simmer for 1 hour.
  3. Refrigerate all leftovers.
 


What I actually did:

1 head cabbage, chopped
Onions, sliced (since they were little onions, I don't know how many but it was probably 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
Broccoli florets-three or four heads cut up
Zucchini--three medium, sliced and quartered
Celery--half a bunch...would have used more if I had had more
Red bell peppers--2,  chopped
Green bell peppers--2, chopped
Garlic-1/3 cup cloves, chopped
Carrots-one cup, sliced---would have used more if I had had them
3 quarts water
2 quarts vegetable juice
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 packet Lipton's French onion soup mix
Chop or slice all vegetables. Place in extremely large pot and cover with the water.  Bring to a boil then add onion soup mix and bouillon and stir well.  Reduce heat to simmer and cover pot.  Let cook until all vegetables are soft.  Add vegetable juice, which will bring the soup closer to a temperature that you can eat  a big bowl right away.

The original intention of this soup was to give you a tasty, low calorie soup that you could eat freely.  It is so good that you might want to eat several bowls a day.  You won't need to eat much else, though I do like a slice of whole wheat toast to dip in, but I don't recommend that if you are on a restricted diet for some reason. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: