About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, August 19, 2016

Food Friday: Barbecue!

Another YouTuber I like is Jill McKeever who is a plant-based eater and cooker. She is a little kooky but just fabulous.  She mentioned Soy Curls.  I had never heard of them but went crazy and ordered some from Butler Foods immediately.  Soy curls are cooked soy beans that are mashed then extruded somehow then dried.  I would be interested in learning exactly how they do it, but I have a picture in my mind...

For supper tonight I followed, more or less, her recipe for Barbecued Soy Curls.




This is what I did.

One 8-ounce bag soy curls
2 Tablespoons tamari
2 Tablespoons liquid smoke
2 cups water, more may be needed

Put the tamari, liquid smoke, and 2 cups water in a medium-sized bowl.  Stirred well then added the soy curls.  Since the soy curls were not totally covered, I added another half cup of water.  Let set aside for 10 minutes or until done getting the rest of the ingredients ready, whichever takes longer.

In another medium-sized bowl place:

2 cups catsup
3 Tablespoons chopped garlic
1 chopped onion--I used yellow onion this time.
1 Tablespoon oregano
2 Tablespoons molasses
1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
1/2 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon Kosher salt

Mix all these ingredients well.  Taste.  If it needs more of anything, now would be the time to adjust seasonings.  This is barbecue sauce.

The chopped onion and garlic should probably be FINELY CHOPPED but they are also okay if you are in a hurry and only chop them up somewhat. If you don't like chunks of onion or garlic in your food, opt to give it some more time and finely chop them. 

After at least 10 minutes the soy curls will be re-hydrated.  Drain them in a strainer then add to the barbecue sauce bowl and gently stir until everything is coated well.

At this point I put the mixture into the stainless steel inner pot that goes with the new Instant Pot.  I turned the pot to Saute and stirred off and on until the mixture was hot, then cancelled the Saute function and turned it to Slow Cook, moving the temperature to High then decreased the timer to 1 hour, covered, set the cover to steaming, and let it go.

After the hour was up I removed the cover and stirred up the barbecue.  I warmed a flour tortilla and put one-quarter cup of this barbecued soy curls on it, rolled it up like a burrito, and was in heaven!  So great to have a bean meal that was satisfyingly chewy!

When Dear One came home from his hike (I might add here that he only went halfway up the mountain instead of his usual summitting.  It was way up in the 90's on the thermometer, and ALSO in the 90's humidity-wise.  I thought he showed remarkable sense in turning back before he had heat prostration.) this barbecue lunch went down well. I will not say how many he ate but more than I at first served him!  That was good.

If you do not have an Instant Pot, I believe you could put these soy curls and their sauce in a casserole and bake it for an hour on 300 degrees F.  Maybe check it after thirty minutes to be sure nothing untoward is happening.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: