The cloth project I made today was called the Peppermint Cloth. The pattern calls for size 6 needles and casting on 20 stitches. In theory it knits up about 8 1/2 inches across. Mine knit up at 11 inches across.
The pattern was a good starting place but I needed to make a couple of changes to make it work for me.
Where the pattern called for slipping one purlwise then putting the yarn to the front, I changed it to putting yarn to the front and THEN slipping one purlwise. It worked much more smoothly for me.
The other place where I made changes was when the pattern changed colors and then called for knitting two rows. The change I made was: after finishing the last short row, I knit all the way from the outer edge to the inner edge of the circle with the previous yarn, then pick up the new yarn and knit one row all the way across to the outer edge of the circle. At this point start back knitting the short rows.
|Peppermint Cloth....i.e. round cloth|