About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Well I DID Do It This Year!

 Many people know that every October I do a 5K walk in support of the Rett Foundation.  Early this October I went out for a long walk to "practice" for the walk later in the month. I walked 1.83 miles around the perimeter of our complex.  When I finished that walk I was feeling great and it crossed my mind that I should immediately go around again which would make the 5K.  For some reason I did not do it that day and the next day plantar fasciitis came back to haunt me.  Since then I have been struggling.

The end of the month is coming and there are lots of things going on so today was the day.  First thing this morning I went out and got in 0.76 miles before going to the doctor appointment.  Following that I did a few errands then came home pretty fagged out.  I was slouched into the reclining loveseat where I often sit downstairs when Dear One asked if I was going to finish my walk.  I had told him this morning that today was the most reasonable day to complete this event.  

Well, I pulled myself together and went back out.  I put on my headset, got out my big stroller, and started down the sidewalk toward the dam across the alligator pond. Because it is always a struggle to walk, I put on my "I'm Hungry apron" which reminds me of all the good things to eat and which has a very nice set of pockets so I could put a hanky in one pocket and my phone in the other.  I have learned that the app that maps my mileage does not give me credit if the phone is in the stroller and not on my person. Since I was not doing this just for the joy of being outside but had a real need to cover a certain amount of ground, I needed the phone in my pocket.  The only thing I failed to do was get my had out of the closet. Oh well. Next time.

My plan was to do an extra loop about halfway through the walk to pick up some more mileage.  I did that but it was obviously not enough so when I got back to our street, instead of turning right toward our house I turned left and went back to the next connecting street and went a ways away from home.  Finally I turned around and headed home again, pretty sure I would get the mileage it.

When I did arrive home I was just about shot but so happy to have completed yet another 5K.



Here I am in this year's tee shirt, headphones on, red face from the sun and a very good view of the current double chin. Every year I think that double chin, etc.  will not be there next year, but it always is. Well, maybe next year!  This was the 9th Annual Race Away Rett 5K.  Maybe the tenth one will be the charm.  I did recommit myself to whole food eating today.  I am thinking of posting the podcast that buoyed me up in that direction.

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment here: