About The Country Wife Blog

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Satisfying

Today has been a somewhat satisfying day...to this point, and hopefully it will continue on in like fashion.

Up somewhat late-ish and made a quick breakfast of hard-boiled eggs, warmed in the microwave, for Bob.  I ate a leftover sandwich from yesterday.  With the energy derived from this food, I was at the computer by 8 AM and worked until after noon on the Visiting Teaching lists/emails/letters.  The wonderful ladies have started responding already!  Yay for them!

It was sunny and beautiful outside and almost got me out there but I was cold and headache-y so I took a nap instead.  When I woke up the opportunity for a walk on a gorgeous day was gone. I hope Jonathan was able to get all his taps placed today while it was yet lovely out there.  Of course, slogging through the extra foot of snow that came yesterday may have made it less than a pleasurable activity...

Next on the agenda was to make some Black Bean Chili.  This is the recipe I used:

Black Bean Chili
www.grasslandmeats.com

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds boneless pork, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
2 15 1/2-oz. cans black beans, drained
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped yellow bell pepper
1 cup thick and chunky salsa
1 15 1/2-oz. can diced tomatoes, do not drain
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper

Directions
Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker.
Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours.

This is what I did differently:  instead of 1 cup of chunky salsa, I put in the whole jar.  Since I have just ordered my Pampered Chef garlic press I passed on the garlic and instead used about a tablespoon of some granulated garlic/chili powder/granulated onion/ground cumin mix that I use to put on buttered popcorn.  I added another teaspoon of straight chili powder and left out the crushed red pepper, though I am thinking of squirting in some chipotle sauce before serving this.  It tasted good when I first put it into the pot.  Oh...and I used a full 4 cups of cooked black beans and nearly two cups of chopped onions.
The proof in the pudding/chili will be if Bob likes it.
 It is snowing outside!  Great night to eat this chili...or at least some hot soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: