About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Another Test Knit!

 Day before yesterday I was at Yarnpond, a website where designers and willing knitters and crocheters meet.  Designers put up new patterns almost every day.  (There are many designers). 

It is fun to help these designers with their patterns.  Every designer is hoping for different things from the test knitters.  Of course, they all want you to be successful with knitting their pattern. They also want  to have you tell them of any problems you find in the pattern. Sometimes they just want a ton of people knitting their project in different yarns so they can have the pictures for their advertising.

The pattern I am testing this time is a blanket pattern knit it blocks with beautiful borders and strips, sort of like putting a quilt together.  This is probably not the best time (with Christmas knitting just begun also...!) to be starting a project of this type since there are 81 stitches cast on for each block (there are nine blocks, only two different ones, though).  The good thing about it is that I have hit the "use it up" (I would NEVER "throw it out"!) stage of life.  I had some beautiful Hilda Yates yarn that I had planned to use for a cable cardigan and another color which I tore an afghan apart...which I blogged about some time ago BUT in South Carolina, I do not need a heavy sweater.  Well, I already have one. I don't need another one. With timing, this may be more than I can chew but she does not need it to be completed until 24 December.  I hope to complete it by then.  I may not have quite enough yarn to finish it as started so I will just use what I have.  It might look wonky, but...well, I don't mind. We are the ones who will use it.  I can see Dear One sitting on the deck with the blanket wrapped around him on "cold" 60 degree days...!

It is a mosaic pattern.  This was my beginning:


It is just a mess.  It looked like nothing.  I went back and re-read the directions and saw something different on the chart so I sent a note to the designer who kindly and quickly emailed me back. She  pointed out in the pattern where she had already answered my question. Duh.

So I tore out everything except the cast on row and started again.  This is what it looks like now:


VERY different.  I like it.  I hope I will read the pattern correctly from now on...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: