About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Barbara Walker Learn To Knit Afghan: Square 20

This block had me tearing my hair a little bit, but only because I kept starting and stopping due to many other projects and gifts that needed knitting in the between times!

When I sat down to finish it, after a few false starts, tearing back, counting rows, etc, it really ran up rather quickly.  There are two rows where you have to use your slip stitches and the rest are stocking stitch.  Once I recognized that,  my fingers flew through the pattern.

NOTE TO SELF:  Having more than one row counter would be a good idea if you are married to row counters!  It is hard to go back to paper and pencil.  It is also harder to knit if you have to keep counting rows to find out where you are in the pattern --if you have pulled the row counter for another project.
Block 20 Scale Quilting being blocked

This pattern is called Scale Quilting and requires a multiple of 6 stitches plus one.

Cast on 43 stitches.  Purl one row, then knit the set-up row before starting with row 1.

There are twelve rows in the pattern repeat, and despite the obvious error at the beginning of my knitting, it is a rather simple pattern.

It is rare that I have a suggestion for Barbara Walker, in fact, this is the first time, I think, BUT it would be nice if the pattern directions said "insert needle from front under loose B strand of Row 1 (7), and knit TOGETHER with next stitch".  There is no "together" in her directions which, if you do not figure it out, you can end up with 50 or more stitches on your needle.  Ask me how I know...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: