About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Food Today: Breakfast Quesadillas

Another day, another couple extra ears of cooked corn on the cob!  This time I made some breakfast quesadillas.

Breakfast Corn Quesadillas

Corn cut off one ear of corn, about 1/2 cup
Shredded pepper jack cheese, about 1/2 cup
2 eggs, fried to taste or scrambled
3 flour tortillas

Because this was an experiment, I made one quesadilla with two flour tortillas and the other with one tortilla that I folded over on the ingredients.  This worked very well, except when I was transferring the one folded-over tortilla to the plate, I carried it on the pancake turner across the kitchen to the island where I had the plate.  Sadly, the turner tipped just as I got to the island and the quesadilla slipped to the floor.  It is a good thing that Dear One kept the floor in good order while I was away!  I followed the three-second rule and immediately picked it up and slapped it on my plate, sans turner this time!

TO MAKE:

Two-tortilla plan:

Heat a heavy skillet to medium high heat.  Place one tortilla in the pan.  On top spread the cooked egg, half the corn kernels, and half the cheese.  Place the second tortilla on top.  Stand over the stove with your pancake turner/spatula so you can flip the quesadilla when the bottom is nicely browned (rather than involving yourself in other projects, because these babies can burn rather quickly and are nowhere near as nice to eat when burned.  Not being in the wasting of food mode, someone has to eat them.....).  Cook on other side the same amount of time.  HAVE THE PLATE NEXT TO THE STOVE, then remove the cooked quesadilla to the plate and cut into wedges with a pizza cutter.

One-tortilla plan:

Place tortilla in heavy hot skillet.  Place egg on one half of the tortilla.  Top with remaining quarter-cup of corn kernels and cheese.  Fold the empty half of the tortilla over the filled half and cook until the cheese is mostly melted and the bottom is nicely browned.  Carefully flip over and cook the other side.  Cut into 4 wedges and enjoy.

When I make these again, I will divide the cheese and put half of the amount for each tortilla on the bottom, then the egg and corn, then the remaining half of the cheese.  I think this way the cheese will rather better "glue" the quesadilla together.  Just a thought.

Sorry there is no picture.  They were eaten too quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: