About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, June 24, 2019

More Travel Thoughts...

May I say that I admire anyone who has to travel for a living?!  Living in motels and out of a suitcase for days and days is beginning to pall on my spirit.  Tonight will be our ninth straight night in a motel.

Some observations (and this comes from our choice of motels, of course...we just want clean sheets, clean floors, and hopefully some sort of breakfast on site so we won't have to go searching for food in the morning...):

Some motels sound really good online.  Some motels do not live up to their advertising.

Some things I now know I do NOT like in a motel:  sandpaper towels, kleenex so thin you need three pieces to even remotely do the job, swimming pool construction, slippery tubs, torn-out smoke alarms, icky harsh carpeting, slippy slide-y toilet seats that are barely attached and cannot seem to be fixed, by me, at least!

Some things I DO like: kind, pleasant desk staff, kind, responsive housekeeping staff, a place to lie down and stretch out after many hours of driving, good air conditioning (it is summer, after all), a comfy easy chair, showers with lots of water coming out of the shower head, a sturdy handle to assist with ingress and egress at the shower.

The very first morning of this set of travel nights (eight in a row, so far, with a few more to go...) I got ready to shower.  I stepped into the tub with my left foot, which, due to the slippery tub, slid like lightening to the far side of the tub.  Fortunately I did not fall down, but my right leg below the knee slammed into the edge of the tub at breakneck speed and instantly brought up a huge painful lump.  Eight days later the pain is abating somewhat but the leg is pretty colorful. I am continuing to wear long skirts to mostly cover the accident.

I know, pretty icky to show, but...if I share the discomfort it alleviates somewhat...don't you think? Pretty much covers the leg from knee to ankle.


I LOVE the handle in this shower.  A nice sturdy grip bar makes showering so much more pleasant. We have several in our shower at home. I love them.  This last motel is the best one.  What am I saying...it is the ONLY motel which had a grab bar worth grabbing.



There was one problem with this shower, however!  



You will see the water roaring out of the shower head at full tilt.  If you know me at all, you will know that I had to jump around in the stall like a scared grasshopper to get even part of my body wet enough to lather up.  I just imagined that I was having a great shower and thought of everything we need to do today.  After a while I gave up and wiped the soap foam off with the towel then rinsed with the washcloth at the sink.  The towels and washcloths in this motel were nice and soft so this was not a trial.

Well, off to look at houses.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: