About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Knitting Math?!

 When we were young and in school we might have thought our math classes were a bunch of bunk and not at all relevant to "real life". At least, I do know some some people who had thoughts like this.  Now, as a more mature lady, I realize that math is everywhere in life.  For an example: with knitting.

Here is what I have finally learned: any time you want a piece of knitting to be a particular size, it is critically important to knit a gauge swatch.  What this consists of is a small piece of knitting using the yarn you plan for your project and the needles you plan to use for your project.


On the YouTube podcast, Fruity Knitting, Andrea showed us some math that helps us knit garments that knit.  If you are interested in watching some inspirational knitting, fancy complex gorgeous knitting, you will want to watch these 90-minute video podcasts.  Andrew and Andrea also have a full Fruity Knitting website.
This picture comes from a different YouTube episode than the one I have referenced above.  Meg Swansen (and Elizabeth Zimmermann) was interviewed on that podcast....not Elizabeth in actuality but she was there.  She is my top knitting hero. She got me knitting again after reading her book "Knitting Without Tears".  Such a fabulous book.  I highly recommend it to all those who want to knit.


Now to the knitting math I mentioned above

Stitch gauge

Number of stitches per 4 inch swatch divided by 4 equals number of stitches per inch

Row gauge

Number of rows per 4 inch swatch divided by 4 equals number of rows per inch

Width of piece

Number of stitches divided by stitch gauge equals width of piece

Length of piece

Number of rows divided by row gauge equals length of piece

Number of stitches

Width of piece multiplied by stitch gauge equals  number of stitches 

Number of rows

Length of piece multiplied by row gauge equals number of row

Since I am in the mental processes of designing a sweater/jacket for our daughter, I keep running this math through my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: