About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Another Failed Recipe: Homemade Kimchi

 When I saw a homemade kimchi recipe on Facebook that said we would have kimchi in one week I was hooked.  Especially since it did not have any weird ingredients.

The ingredients were all normal...though I did not have that Napa Cabbage on hand and still had not been able to get the fresh ginger last week when I was shopping but THIS TIME there was the fresh lovely ginger.

Because this recipe failed I am not going to put it out there to disappoint another person.  I will just say that there was Napa cabbage, fresh ginger, fresh garlic, carrots, onion, and spring onions plus sea salt, I think some rice vinegar.  Also a few red pepper flakes.


These jars have been sitting on our counter for seven days now. I took off the covers a couple times a day as the recipe said to do.  Well, on Friday I noticed a little white fuzz on the half-full jar.  Then today I saw that not only was there white fuzz, there was actual mold.  Plus the full jar now has the white fuzz.  I am not foolhardy enough to sample it.  What a disappointment!  My mouth was all ready for some lovely not too spicy kimchi, sort of like a seasoned sauerkraut.

More research will have to go into this before I try it again.  I had hoped to share it with our family who is coming to visit, but instead I will be putting it down the drain.  So sad.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions on how to have a successful outcome, I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: