About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, August 13, 2021

Food Friday: Fresh Onion Dip!

 In the past whenever there has been a function that required chips and dip, I have gotten a pint of sour cream and a packet of French's Onion Soup Mix, stirred them together, refrigerated for a few hours for the flavors to meld, then served to repeated acclamation. It was not something I thought up but every time I have served it people have raved about it.  It is nice and salty and full of fat so it is bad for us on at least two fronts, but it does taste yummy.

WELL...a few years ago my sister made some Fresh Onion Dip that I loved. It was lovely and light flavored, not too salty, really it was just right and a joy to eat.  So, since we were asked to bring chips and dip to a funeral reception, I decided to try it.

This is what I did;

Got out the Ninja Express food processor (a gift from my sister!) and chopped half a sweet onion.  The Ninja Express makes a nice onion-y slush which was perfect.  Not quite a slush but finer than dicing by a long shot.

In a bowl I placed 24 ounces sour cream, 2 Tablespoons onion slush, and 1 Tablespoon of Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken flavor.  I stirred it up then tried it with a Lay's Wavy Potato Chip.  It tasted pretty good but was possibly a bit too mild so I added another tablespoon of onion and Better Than Bouillon.  That might have been too much of the Better Than Bouillon.  Well, I like salty.

The next day I stirred the dip again and tested it again with another potato chip.  This time it tasted great!  So, I will serve this batch to our family then make a fresh batch for the funeral.  

24  ounces( but can  use1 pint) sour cream
3 Tablespoons very finely chopped sweet onion
2 Tablespoons Roasted Chicken Flavor Better Than Bouillon

Mix together in large bowl and refrigerate for several hours then put in serving bowl and enjoy.  It is good with chips but even better with fresh vegetable sticks and slices.


As usual, not a stellar photograph, but I think you get the point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: