About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Busy Days and Test Knit Completed: Step In Socks

So much goes on each day.  Some things are so en-JOY-able and others are concerning.  We have had a string of both of these options in life lately.

One good thing that has transpired since last I wrote was that I finished the sock test knit.  Sadly, the socks did not fit me well so I gave them to our son for his 48th birthday.  I hope they will fit him.  The toes were a little floppy, the fabric of the socks themselves was so very nice:  firm and thick and comfy.  I chose to use up the whole balls of Gentry Grey yarn which had the effect of making the sock legs go further up my leg than the pattern called for.  The sad thing is that my legs did not match the  socks so I need to make another pair with wider ribbing. 

After making these socks I was all souped up to go to Michaels to find that lovely Patons Kroy Socks Gentry Grey yarn when I was convicted by the thought that I have a very large bag of sock yarn that needs to be used up before buying more yarn.  This may be the year when I do a lot of sock knitting...May Be...



This is the sock on Dear One's leg.  They fit him well but he thought they should go to Son #1, so they did.

When I make socks again, I will probably not put in the colorful toes, heels, and ribbing as the designer planned but will just do plain vanilla socks, knitting every stitch.  I have a book called Custom Socks by Kate Atherley which will make it possible to knit socks that actually fit one's feet. I must now re-read that book, take the needed measurements, and cast on another pair.  I think I will use up the colorful yarn that was used here for the toes, etc.  Hopefully there is enough to get the socks through the foot and up at least a little way above the heel.

If you click on the "finished" link above you can read about the sock project on my Ravelry page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: