About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, November 6, 2023

Munchie Monday: Two Ingredient "English Muffins"

 Here is another recipe from YouTube.  I did not really trust it but I had ingredients I wanted to use up so I gave it a try.

This recipe is called Two Ingredient English Muffins.  I spoke with our daughter about it and she said it sounded like biscuits to her.  It did to me, too, but still, I had ingredients to use so I tried them.

In the recipe the lady uses:

2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup Greek yogurt

We did not any Greek yogurt (earlier in the week I had put a container of furry stuff in the bin...) but we DID have an abundance of homemade milk kefir that I was needing to use up.  The lady also used cornmeal on her counter but I did not.

What I did was sift 2 cups self-rising store brand flour into a big glass bowl. I added the kefir that I had in a pint jar which, when I measured it, was just over 1 cup. Score! So I mixed with a sturdy wooden spoon until the dough came together.

It seems to me that I let it sit covered for a few minutes. (I had stayed home from church due to a VERY unpleasant intestinal problem and though it was only yesterday, I have forgotten that "waiting" point.  I don't think it can hurt.)

After flouring the counter well, I poured the dough out and gave it a few turns of kneading then divided into six pieces.  Each piece was rolled into a ball in my hands then patted flat to about 1/2 inch thick circles.

The cast iron skillet was ready to cook the muffins.  Well, actually it was MORE than ready! I had washed the pan before starting the dough then put it on the stove to dry out over medium heat.  You will notice that the YouTube lady said to put the muffins into a pan that was on the very lowest heat.  I turned the burner down to that BUT as you can see from the picture, it was a mite too hot!



When I was making these muffins, I did not go back and check the directions.  I thought I remembered that she put some oil in the frying pan, so I did that.  After putting all six muffins in the pan--it is a 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet-I put the cover on and set the timer for 20 minutes.  I feel sure she said to cook for 20 minutes ON EACH SIDE.  After about ten minutes I checked.  Yikes!  They were really cooking so I checked to be sure the heat was on the lowest setting and let them cook a little more. 

 About two minutes later I decided I needed to flip them so I did. Three of them were pretty chocolate-y, so to speak.  I let them cook, covered until 20 minutes was up.  They were nice and puffy and looked like English muffins so I pulled them off the heat and out of the pan to cool.  I took the most-burned-looking one, split it in half, buttered it, put on some Smuckers Natural Triple Berry Jam (this is good stuff with NO high fructose corn syrup.  Yes, I buy into the idea that high fructose corn syrup is the devil and do my best  to avoid it...), and ate it.  It did NOT taste burned.  It really did remind me strongly of English muffins.

Dear One had no trouble scarfing down three of them!  That did make me happy.  Of course, it was his first food after fasting twenty-four hours...so almost anything would taste pretty good.



The next day I split the last two and "toasted" them in the air fryer.  They were still pretty good, more English muffin-y than biscuit, but heading in that direction.  I will certainly make them again when the kefir gets ahead of us.  (You can only drink so much kefir smoothie stuff.  At least, there is a limit to what I can drink.  Dear One might be a different matter.  If I make it for him, he is all in. At least for a while.)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: