About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, December 12, 2023

Smittens Advent Calendar GarlandP: Completed After Nine Years!

 Here are my notes from Ravelry about this project:

"This project will be knit for each of our married children and their families…96 mittens in all, unless I decide to do one for the old homestead!

"I am using up yarn that I already have, much of it no-name due to ball bands missing.

What are the odds that I will get this project done before I need to start the ‘real’ Christmas knitting.

12-11-2023

You might call this a long-term project, or just a project that I did not get back to for years! It makes me happy to have completed it.

The final five mittens were started on US size 3 needles but then I realized I needed to use US size 5, which I did. In the interest of time, and finishing, I did not start with the I-cord but just cast on the 24 wrist ribbing stitches and started knitting. This mean that I made I-cord loops after the fact. That worked just fine,

12-11-2023

This is a wonderful project but should be started no later than July of the year you want to gift the garland. I did not do that, I started in October and knitted 115 mittens by late November. Then I did not do anything with my hands for three months. It took them that long to recover. One needs to be smart with one’s body…


These are the last five mittens I knitted over the last week-plus.  I planned to knit one per day until they were done, but that did not happen due to other projects, so the last day I knitted three of them.  In the middle of the night. Again.  Some night I will actually stay in bed sleeping all night. I hope





This is the full garland on the fireplace ready to pack into a box and send to its new home.  We have hung it up every year, incomplete, until now.  May I say it makes me happy to complete this and even happier that now each one of our children has this in their homes.  You can see there are little papers on some of the mittens.  Actually now all of the mittens have the papers.  These are notes of scriptures about Christmas for the families to read and ponder and think about the true meaning of Christmas.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: