About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Mission Afghan: Completed!!!

Finally, a year after starting it, the mission afghan is done.


It turns out that I had gotten rather sick of this knitting project and just wanted it done so I did not continue on with stripes at the ends to make it longer as I had planned.  I just picked up stitches along the long side, knitted in garter stitch three plus garter ridges then bound off.  The ends were 140 live stitches on threads on each end so I picked up along the gray garter borders then knitted the live stitches, ending up with picking up the other long side garter ridges then knit three more garter ridges and bound off.  Did this on both ends then started weaving in the ends.

At this point I will make a confession. every other square had four long ends to weave in.  After a couple of rows of weaving in I was done with the weaving in.  Well, it was late at night and I wanted that sucker DONE.  So...what any lazy knitter might do, I just tied off the yarn with very sturdy knots and cut the extra yarn.  Since it is not a garment and the only one who will be annoyed by the knots is me, I decided it was okay.  We will find out if it is really okay the first time, or maybe second time, I have to wash it.  If the ends work loose, then it was a problem.  By then I will have probably made another blanket and will let this one go.



Happily unconscious unsuspecting napper.  I guess the blanket was successful.

Things I learned with this project:  how to make small parts into a large whole with no seams.  Bingo!  Sewing together is not my cup of tea.

Something I WANT to learn:  how to weave in the ends as you go.  Now that I think of it,  if I look at the Philosopher's Wool website and watch their videos again, I will be reminded how to do that.  When I was doing stranding years ago I remember it worked great.  I just didn't think of it at the beginning of this project.  Too bad...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: