About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, November 23, 2018

Food Friday: Millet Loaf from Forks over Knives

For ages I have been longing to make a millet loaf.  When I was at Parkview Medical Center's Lifestyle Choices program they gave us a recipe which I made once at home. It was fabulous.  Sadly, at the time I wanted to make this a month or two ago I could not find the recipe.  So...Google being a person's best friend sometimes, I searched and found this recipe.



Because I was awake at 1:00 o'clock, and 2:00 o'clock, and 3:00 o'clock, I decided to start this recipe for a meal tomorrow.  I did some things differently, as usual...

In a medium saucepan I placed 3/4 cup uncooked millet and 2 1/2 cups of vegetable broth I had made earlier in the week.  On top of that I chopped 1 medium red onion.  Covered the pot and brought to a boil.  When the millet and onions was boiling, I stirred it, turned the heat to low and covered it.  The recipe said to let cook for 20-25 minutes until tender.  I let it cook for 25 minutes then shut off the heat.  As it turns out, (by this time it was 4:00 o'clock) it really was not "tender/cooked" but I thought possibly there was residual heat and liquid enough that they would finish the job while I went back to bed. 

At 8:30 AM when I arrived back in the kitchen I discovered that my hope on the prior situation had been vain...still not quite cooked.  (I found another recipe that has you cook the millet for 40 minutes so clearly 20-25 won't do the trick...).

In a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup I placed 1/2 cup hot water and almost 3 Tablespoons of red miso.  After stirring well I dumped in the last of the nutritional yeast in the labeled jar--about 1/3 cup, 1 1/2 teaspoons dried sage, 1 1/2 Tablespoons granulated garlic,  2 large pinches thyme, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper,  1/2 cup ketchup, and about 1/4 more hot water that I used to rinse out the ketchup bottle.  These ingredients were stirred until they were smooth (the miso took a little doing to get smooth) then poured into the saucepan of cooled cooked millet and onions.  I stirred with a spoon for a while then washed my hands again and used the old one-two to get the mixture well combined.  (The cooled millet tended to clump, which would not have been agreeable for the palate.)



When this was all mixed, I smushed it into a glass loaf pan, covered with more ketchup, and cooked it for 30 minutes, or so--because I forgot to set the timer and just guessed--then removed from the oven.  It looked good enough.  After an hour I cut out a little bit to taste.  It is okay but I am betting Dear One will prefer whatever else I put on the table for dinner.  Since I am writing this days before posting, I will be able to give a Dear One update.

The ironic thing is that I found the Parkview Millet Loaf recipe while I was going through papers in an effort to hoe out the desktop after having put the above millet loaf in the oven.  I remember the Parkview loaf as being so good I could have eaten the whole loaf in one sitting.  Well, at least mentally I could have done that.  I am now trying to get away from eating "the whole thing" in the interest of making a real change in health over the next few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: