About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, July 15, 2019

Munchie Monday: Instant Pot Barbecue Baked Beans

When we arrived home some dear friends put together a wonderful welcome home party.  I wanted to make something to bring so I chose son #2's barbecue baked beans.  This is what I did, which was not exactly his recipe!

4 large cans Bush's Original Baked Beans (you can already see this will be an easy recipe!!)

1 large sweet onion, diced fine

1 cup barbecue sauce

1/3 cup brown sugar

2 Tablespoons prepared mustard

1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning

Put the diced onion and one quarter cup water in the Instant Pot inner bowl and turn to Sauté mode.  Cook, stirring pretty often, until the onion is translucent.  Stir in the remaining ingredients, cancel the Sauté mode and turn to Slow Cook mode for 4 hours.  I did not put the cover on the pot and stirred the beans every 30 minutes or so.

When it was time to go to the party I put the cover on and carried it with us, leaving the cord at home so I would not lose it.  Very important part of the directions!

These were pretty good.  There was so much food (and fun) at the party that we took home enough beans for another meal at home when the family returned from their 4th of July trip.


In the original recipe there was 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup real maple syrup, and the option of adding in 2 Tablespoons red pepper flakes and 1 Tablespoon cayenne pepper.  That was going to be a bit heavy on the sugar and way too spicy for my eating pleasure which is why I changed it to 1/3 cup brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon Montreal Steak Seasoning.  In case there were leftovers, I wanted to be able to eat them comfortably in case no one else wanted to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: