About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Texas Sheet Cake Cookies Plus INVITATION

This morning with the mom and the dad still away on their anniversary trip I decided to actually make the Texas Sheet Cake Cookies that I had acquired ingredients for the other day.  Between then and now the time had been filled with working on the house closing process for Vermont house, visits with friends, trips to swim practice then to a swim meet, and a hundred other small things that tend to take up time and keep forward momentum on our move at a standstill.  With these cookies finished (plus the green jello frogs and bowls of green jello and bananas), I will force myself back to the upper regions to get control of the huge amount of moving stuff.  Fortunately there are offers to take a bunch of the items that I still have clutched in my heart so maybe I can let them go more easily.  A good home is what I want for my treasures...

INVITATION!
Dear One and I have been asked to speak in Church: Next Sunday, 14 July,  at 10:30 A.M.  These will be short talks and not too heavy. Well, if you know me, you know that at least MY talk will not be heavy at all!  Everyone is welcome to attend.   This will be our Sacrament Meeting so we will participate in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper prior to the talks.  Following Sacrament Meeting, which is approximately 1 hour in length, there will be Priesthood and Relief Society meetings which are discussions and also about one hour in length.  Everyone is invited to those as well.

Now, on to the Texas Sheet Cake Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Either grease a cookie sheet or put parchment paper on a cookie sheet to be ready for the cookie batter.

In a large bowl whisk two eggs and 1/3 cup vegetable oil together until smooth and well-combined.  Stir in one box chocolate cake mix. I used a Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake mix.

Using a medium portion scoop, scoop out the batter onto the prepared cookie sheet or sheets. (Next time I will use a smaller scoop.)

Bake for 7-15 minutes, depending on the size of the mounds of batter (which is pretty thick, by the way).

Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes then remove to cooling rack until completely cool.

Icing
In a medium saucepan, place 1/2 cup butter, 3 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa, and 3 Tablespoons milk.  Stir until melted together.

Add 2 2/3 cups confectioner's sugar and stir until smooth. 

Pour over cookies and let set until firm.  (I "licked the spoon" after doing this so I can say the icing is good enough to eat...!)

Store in an airtight container if there are any left over.  Or freeze.

My assessment of the cookies is that they are somewhat this side of a failure.  There are three children and one adult lined up in the kitchen as I type putting dibs on specific cookies.  I have just put eggs in the Instant Pot to hard boil for lunch sandwiches so I am going to hold off the hungry munchers until they can eat some real food, THEN they can have the cookies and green jello frogs for dessert!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: