About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

Fun Acrylic Painting Class: Brush Strokes 101

Not long ago I happened to see an advertisement in a art studio's window for a class called "Brush Strokes 101".  Since I need help with my painting, I thought it would be worth attending.  It really was.

The artist/instructor had set up the tables with large sheets of thick plastic, a folded paper towel, 5 different paint brushes, and a water bucket.  Her assistants brought around paper plates with paint for us.

When the whole class was there we came up to her table where she placed the first sheet of brush strokes under the plastic then mixed blue acrylic paint with white acrylic paint and some sort of paint extender so the paint would be useable longer.  She showed us how to paint each of the strokes on that first sheet...in this case it was a flat brush and we were mostly making straight lines of different weights.

We then went back to our tables and used our brush to paint each of the strokes as she had done.  She gave us a few minutes, rung a bell to stop us at which point we wiped down our plastic and went back to her table for the second sheet.  We followed this process through all the sheets and all the brushes.  We had three different flat brushes, and round brush and a filbert and I think eight sheets of brush strokes.

About half an hour before the end of the class she gave us the opportunity to put our brush strokes together and paint a bouquet of flowers. Or whatever else we wanted to do.  By that time I was completely shot so I took about ten minutes to paint my flowers and left.  I arrived home at about the time the class was to be over.


As you can see, I mostly just slapped paint on the canvas so I could in good conscience leave.  Still, I like the painting okay.  It is my second acrylic painting. I took the class so I could learn to handle the brushes better with watercolor painting.  We shall see if that hope was accomplished.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: