About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

Steeking After The Fact

Some years ago I blogged about the Elizabeth Zimmermann Adult Surprise Jacket that I knit while taking a class at the Country Woolens shop in Lebanon, New Hampshire.  Sadly, that shop no longer exists.  The Upper Valley had three wonderful yarn shops at one time which I enjoyed patronizing.  Debbie's classes were wonderful at Country Woolens.

Anyway, that sweater is a pretty easy one to knit.  You just need to do the math before you cast on and write down your numbers.  Then trust them!  I did not trust the numbers so I knitted a few more rows than I should have and ended up with "cuffs" that were really heavy.  Almost immediately I planned to insert a fleece lining with ribbed cuffs inside those big honking cuffs.  I never got around to it.

Now the we are in South Carolina where there is a good chance I will never need that sweater at all ever, I have decided to steek those sleeves.  Steeking is something that I have done before, also with Debbie at Country Woolens when I made a fabulous little green and white Norwegian sweater for a young granddaughter.  I loved that sweater.  It looked so impressive but was actually so simple to knit.  When you know you are going to steek a sweater, you add in a few extra stitches where you want your steeks to be. In that case it was up the front and also in the sleeves.  It was so nifty to be able to just knit and knit and knit in pattern and make a tube then at the end, cut the steek, add in the front ribbing and pick up for the sleeves and you were done.  So nice.
Notice the two rows of black yarn...this is a crocheted steek ready to be cut.

Well, this is not a planned-for steek. I do not know if it will work.  Here is the sweater with the crocheted stitches all done.  The Surprise Jacket is now ready to cut the steeks.  I am giving you the Before photo.  After I cut the steek, unravel the cut-out yarn and splice it back together for knitting the cuff, then knitting the cuff, I will put up an After photo.  Wish me luck!

PS The first time I ever heard about steeking was in Elizabeth Zimmermann's book Knitting Without Tears.  Such a fabulous book for knitters.  Actually, it is good for everyone.  So entertaining and instructive and also inspiring.
PPS . Great news!!!  When I went to Schoolhouse Press, Elizabeth Zimmermann's (she died late in the 1990's) family company, there was a NEW Surprise Sweater...this one a vest. In Fair Isle!!!  That is truly exciting.  Something I would like to make.  I must HURRY to finish up a couple more projects so I can invest in the yarn for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: