About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, February 17, 2020

Munchie Monday: Unusual Enchiladas

Our daughter-in-law makes the best enchiladas.  We both love them.  When I made these  today Dear One asked if they were her recipe.  Well, no, though the idea was the same.  Mostly.

As far as I know enchiladas are flour tortillas (with a filling) that are rolled up and placed in a nice glass dish which has enchilada sauce in it.  More sauce is poured over the top and they are cooked at 375 degrees F. for 30-45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling.



This is how I did it:

Chopped up an 8-ounce container of mushrooms and added them along with a bag of frozen peppers and onions (they had been waiting in the freezer for just such a day!) to a large saucepan and "water sautéed" until they were mostly cooked.

Added three cups of cooked black beans (equivalent to two cans of black beans which are drained and rinsed), one head of cooked-until-mushy cauliflower, 8 ounces tomato paste, 2 Tablespoons lemon juice and 1 solid teaspoonful of Montreal Steak Seasoning.

Stir this stuff all together well and taste to see if you need any more flavorings.  I failed to put in fresh garlic since the head we had was definitely ready for the compost pile so I did not use it.  I put in a teaspoon of granulated garlic.  I wanted to put in more but often some garlic is great, too much garlic is a disaster.

Now that we had the filling, I made the sauce.  A. uses enchilada sauce.  We did not have any so I used a jar of Herdez Salsa Verde, one of my favorite things, and a can of Hunts Garlic and Herb spaghetti sauce.  (Be sure not to knock it until you have tried it! I thought it was pretty good. In fact, I could have just used a spoon and pretended it was soup!)

Finally I put half the sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 glass dish then put about 1/3 cup filling into flour tortillas, rolled them up, and put them seam side down in the sauce.  Cover with remaining sauce and bake at 375 degrees F for about 30-45 minutes.  We were pretty hungry so we stopped at 35 minutes and it was fine...i.e. heated through.

Tasted great!

For my final part of the meal I steamed the stuff out of some garden fresh kale that I had harvested moments before and chopped fairly fine.  I steamed it in the Instant Pot for 15 minutes on HIGH.  I loved it.  Dear One had one TINY leaf and choked it down like a good sport.  One of the many reasons I love him.


All in all, it was a great meal. In my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: