About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, April 2, 2020

Elizabeth Zimmermann Adult Surprise Jacket, Steeked and Ready to Wear!

Years ago I took a class at Country Woolens in Lebanon, New Hampshire.  Debbie, the store owner, taught us how to knit Elizabeth Zimmermann's Adult Surprise Jacket. (You can find the pattern at Schoolhouse Press.) I knitted up a Baby Surprise Jacket on size 8 needles and worsted weight yarn to make a giant "swatch" which I was able to give to a granddaughter as a gift.  That worked up in two evenings and was very successful, so...on with the Adult Surprise Jacket.

There is math involved as you are beginning the jacket.  Once that has been worked out you just knit knit knit!  It is a garter stitch with a few strategic increases then later some decreases.  You end up with a humpy rectangle that you fold up then stitch the shoulders/arms together and that is it depending on what you want for the front closure.

For mine, I decided to put pockets in the fronts and a sturdy zipper closure.  I was very happy with this sweater except for one thing...I had not trusted my math and continued knitting on for a while.  The jacket ended up with 4-5 extra inches on the sleeves.  That meant I had to fold over those inches thereby making a double thickness cuff.  You might have thought that was a good thing, but it was not. At least, not for me.
Extra bulky fold-over cuffs


For quite some time I have been thinking about how I could rectify the problem.  A few months ago I decided the smartest thing was to steek off the cuff and replace it with a ribbed cuff.  This week I did it!



Here is the completed Adult Surprise Jacket post steeking!  I am ever so happy with it.  Of course, I will need to winter somewhere else if I want to wear it...!

Maybe next week I will share the process.  Today I am not up to a longer post. (I have been brushing dead dry skin off my face.  I am grateful it is dead and am hopeful that there will be good new soft healthy skin underneath.  Dear One keeps reminding to stop touching the face.... All this face stuff is taking it out of me.  I look forward to the end of the line on this minor situation.  I am grateful that it has been such a small trial but now I am ready to move on...!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: