About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, April 6, 2020

Munchie Monday: Not Quick and Easy Cinnamon Buns

This weekend was General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Twice a year General Authorities and General Officers of the Church gather in Salt Lake City and, for two days, give messages of inspiration and encouragement to all the world.  Thousands of people go to Salt Lake City to sit in the Conference Center and listen to these speakers and to the Tabernacle Choir and other choirs.

With this year being so different, the Brethren closed the Conference Center and had an electronic-only Conference. People did not gather together for these vital meetings. People watched General Conference in their own homes. The technology worked so well.  Only the people speaking at a particular session were in the building.  It was truly a wonderful event, as always, even in these trying times.  Everyone is invited to enjoy these messages of hope by going to ChurchofJesusChrist.org and clicking on General Conference.  You will be glad you did.  Every session was worth the time spent listening.

Anyway, many families have food traditions for Conference.  I was speaking with our daughter on the phone and she was planning to make Cinnamon Buns.  Dear One heard her and thought we should have some, too!  Well,  I do like to please him so I gathered the ingredients for the recipe our daughter sent.  I woke up at 5:00 AM and began the buns.  Just after 9:00 AM I spread the cream cheese frosting over the top of the somewhat cooled rolls, ate a small one, and went back to bed!

Below I have listed the ingredients and the website where you can find the recipe.

Cinnamon Buns/Rolls

Dough:
4 cups bread flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbs yeast
2 tsp salt
1/3 cup soft butter
1+ cup warm milk
2 eggs

Filling:
1 cup brown sugar
1-1/2 Tbs cinnamon
1/3 cup soft butter - not melted but spreadable.
1 Tbs flour - maybe try 2 Tbs next time.

Frosting: (this is extremely good!!!)
4 oz. cream cheese room temp
1/2 cup soft butter
1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 tsp fresh lemon juice !!!
1 tsp vanilla

Bake 350 for 20 minutes or to internal temp of 165° F.


THINGS I LEARNED WHILE MAKING THIS RECIPE:

The eggs should be at room temperature.  They were not room temperature when I added them to the rest of the ingredients so they cooled things down tremendously.  After 2 hours the dough had not doubled.  So I refreshed my memory about how to raise dough in the microwave.  (Put it in a  covered greased bowl and put in the microwave with a small bowl of warm water.  Set the microwave temperature to low power. I put it at 10% power.  Set the timer for 3 minutes.  After 3 minutes check to see if the dough is warm and rising.  If not, set the power again to 10% and 3 minutes.  I think I did it 3 times and then the dough was warm. It is important to reset the power each time because the oven goes back to full power.  This would be disaster for the buns. I let the dough rise another few minutes outside the microwave then formed the buns.

When the buns have cooked, (our oven required 35 minutes, not 20 minutes) bring them out of the oven and let them cool at least 10 minutes. I used a timer so I would not ice the buns too soon and have goopy melted icing.

These buns were good but I am positive they are not good for you.  SO...we won't be eating them again any time soon.  I had two and have called it a day!  They did not help the scales nor the glucometer, I can tell you.  Maybe your body will respond differently!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: