About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

Double Chocolate Chip Muffin Tops

Very recently Dear One told me he likes muffins, but only the tops.  What to do, what to do?!  Well, I went online and immediately ordered a Chicago Metallic Muffin Top Tin.  It came in three days. Sadly, Amazon packaged the tin in a plastic bag instead of in a sturdy box and the tin arrived warped.  I decided to try it anyway. 
You can see that the tin does not entirely touch the counter surface.  Too bad.  However, with this particular recipe, and portioning, the batter did not spew out of the tin.  Thankfully.



Double Chocolate Chip/Chunk Muffin Tops

1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

In a large bowl place flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda, and cocoa powder.  Stir well. I put them all through a sieve to get out any lumps as I was putting the ingredients into the bowl.

In a medium bowl place the eggs, oil, buttermilk, and vanilla.  Whisk gently until well combined.

Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix well.

Add chocolate chips and fold in gently.

Using a 1/4 cup portion scoop, scoop and dump into the 6 wells in the muffin top tin.  

Bake 10 minutes.

Cool on wire rack 1 minute then invert pan and ease the muffin tops out onto the wire rack to cool completely.  Unless you are the only one in the kitchen, good luck on having the tops cool completely before consumption!

The muffin top tin we purchased has 6 wells.  I think you can find muffin top tins with 12 wells, which is probably a better idea.  It turns out that the 6-well muffin tops have 175 calories per top!!  I learned this when I input the recipe into MyFitnessPal so I can add them to my meals and know the nutritional value.  Rather shocking. It was short-sighted to have purchased the larger muffin tops tin. I may have to get the smaller one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: