About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, April 19, 2022

Gardening 2022

 Finally the vegetable garden for this season has been planted!  The potato bed had weeds pulled, stakes put in so we would be able to see where the potatoes had gone in, and the remaining four Asian sweet potatoes in our bin were planted.  The whole potatoes were put in the ground.  Last year I did that and it worked with yams so I am hopeful it will work with the Asian sweet potatoes I purchased and enjoyed from the Han Market months ago.  We shall see.

Here is a picture of the kale and collards bed left over from last year.  Two kale plants survived. I thought it was the potato bed picture but it is not...red face. Again.

Also the string bean bed was half planted.  I planted them on Tax Day.  We had a torrential rain after that so I hope they make it.  I planted two packets, one where I had soaked the seeds and planted in a row next to the edge of the bed and one packet with the seeds straight out of the packet. I will be interested to see if soaking wakes up the seeds quicker.  Of course with all the rain, that might be hard to tell...


This is the string bean bed. You can see that only half of the bed was weeded to plant the beans.  Hopefully soon I will get the rest of the bed weeded so it will be ready for more bean seeds in a couple of weeks.  The idea being that we will have string beans for a longer season.


These are the seeds we are raising.  They are Cherokee Wax, a bean I seem to remember from my youth.  Dear One does not like green beans.  Actually, he doesn't like a lot of green foods.  Sad, because they are so good for you.  He does drink Green Juice when I make it but that is mostly fruit and water.  He does like wax (yellow) beans however and I capitalize on that when possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: