About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Scorched, again!

Do you ever wake up in the morning and almost immediately know it is going to be a bad day?  Well, I did yesterday, and it has spilled over into today.

On Monday night I had decided to try going the healthier-eating-route....yet again, so when I got ready to make breakfast yesterday I made apples and oatmeal cereal.  Now you would probably think this was not a problem, but for me it was.  I put 2 cups of water in the saucepan along with two cored and finely chopped skin-on apples (Honey Crisps this time) and put the cover on to let them come to a boil.  When they were boiling I put in a small pinch of coarse sea salt, an eighth teaspoon of apple pie spice (which I had made from a recipe on the internet last week), and one cup of old fashioned oatmeal.  I gave it a stir and put the cover on for it to come back to a simmer.

The phone rang and I ran to answer it.  It was someone who needed something from my computer so I went upstairs to get the file and emailed to her.  While there I noticed a few messages I really needed to address, so I did.

All of a sudden I remembered our breakfast and raced down the stairs (picture that one!) to pull the pot off the stove.  The top three-quarters of the cereal looked fine so I served the very top 'layer' to dear one and took the next bit for myself.  Served with chopped walnuts, brown sugar, and milk, it was not bad, but dear one mentioned the scorched taste.  Now I really object to that!!  How can he possibly know it was scorched because there was not a bit of off-colored bits in his bowl, PLUS he cannot smell worth a fig, AND he was not in the kitchen when this was taking place...

So the pan had to go into the sink for a good soak before scraping it out and washing it with a stainless steel scratcher.

The day did not improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: