About The Country Wife Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

A Word of Warning


Without any preamble, let me say that taking care of our health is very important, starting not next month, or after that party next weekend, or the next birthday, or any other time than right now.  There are consequences for every action.  Sometimes they are immediate.  Sometimes they don't show up for days, years or decades, but there are always consequences.  Some of them are good, yay!  Some of them are not good at all.  We can change the outcomes by changing the actions which happens by changing our attitudes.  Thinking: just this once won't hurt, or this time I will not keep to the plan, etc.  In the long, and sometimes short, run, this is not good.  We need to change our attitudes in a good direction.

SO...I am committing myself to myself, and anyone who cares, that I will take better care of my health.  Having had a health scare yesterday I have been thinking a lot about what I can do.  I was reading in the Book of Mormon in Alma 10: 5-6 last night and was struck to the heart.  Amulek said, "I was called many times and I would not hear;" and then he goes on to say the date when his attention was caught and he made a change.  I hope I have "heard: now.  I hope my change is of this moment.

Some things I have had "called" many times but I "would not hear" are these:  plan to be healthy by--eating small "meals" every couple of hours (not three big meals a day...plan the day's food and divide it up); 
move your body every hour at least; 
eat your calories, and drink water; 
eat food as close to its natural state as possible, i.e. whole fresh foods prepared simply;
get to bed at the same (and early) time each night; 
get up at the same time every morning; 
spend time in meditation/prayer at least daily or better yet, have your heart filled with prayer at all times; 
be kind, loving, thoughtful; 
look around you and see who you can help in ways that work with your own skills, abilities, and talents;
be grateful and show that gratitude;
don't compare yourself to others, just do what you can do today. Tomorrow you may be able to do more.

In my view, these are actually do-able things, we just have to do them.

NOTE:  The scare was not a heart attack or anything like that.  We were out grocery shopping and out of the blue I started perspiring profusely, shaking, felt dizzy, and had a headache develop.  I tried to think why this was happening and realized that I had had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast and half an apple around 2 PM.  This was about 5:30.  Yikes!  No wonder.  When these things happen you know you have to have some rescue food.  I was not thinking straight so I got a chicken roll-up and cracked into it immediately, eating it as I struggled along holding tightly to the shopping cart.  We got to the car and I just sat limply in the seat until well after we got home.  Thankfully, Dear One carried in all the bags and I just sat there until I felt able to walk upstairs safely.  After a while I investigated online what better rescue foods I can carry with me in case I don't do what I have mentioned above.  You know, just in case...

1 comment:

  1. Oh Pattie, please write a 'follow up,so that we know you have recovered . unfortunately, at our age, we are facing the consequences of our mote youthful choices. i see the good and the bad if that daily. The good news is each day brings a new opportunity to make changes. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here: