About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, January 8, 2018

Munchie Monday: Old-Fashioned Oatmeal in the Microwave

A new anything is a good time to make improvements in one's life:  a new year, a new month, a new week, a new day, a new job, anything is a good excuse to get it together.

In any case, I decided to get more serious about eating good food.  Well, just about EVERYTHING I eat is good,  just not necessarily  good FOR me!  So today, since I had started a stove-top cleaning project and could not use that triple apple oatmeal cake that I told you about for cereal that I have in the freezer waiting for just such a morning as this, I decided to try oatmeal in the microwave.

This is what I did:

1. In a very large glass bowl I put 2 cups unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, and a pinch of salt. I stirred it, put on the plastic keep-the-microwave-clean cover that I discovered here in Oregon (why aren't there any of these covers in New England?  Or why did I not see them before?  They are a wonderful gadget that was in the apartment when we arrived.  I immediately got a new one and put it in my closet to wait until we get home. I hope I don't find too many other things to store until we go home or we will have to trade in our car for a truck.  Not a bad idea, actually...!)

2. Let the microwave cook for 2 minutes, then stirred. Nowhere near ready.

3.  Let cook for 2 more minutes.  Stirred.  Added 1/2 cup raisins and stirred again.

4.  Let cook for 2 more minutes.  Stirred. STILL not ready.

5.  Let cook for 2 MORE minutes.  FINALLY it was ready.

After stirring well, I put 1 cup or a tad more into each of two bowls.  I broke up about 2 Tablespoons walnuts onto the top of the cereal the added 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed.  At this point I got out the  jar of cinnamon honey paste I made last week. I put a small teaspoon on mine and stirred it it.  I won't say how much Dear One stirred into his bowl!  But it was enough.

This was really good.  If you have a higher-grade microwave, it probably won't take your oatmeal 8 minutes to cook.  Also if you are only making one serving, it won't take as long, but I would check every 2 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: