About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A Tiny Embarrassing Accident

On Saturday some families in our ward got together to have a "Random Acts of Kindness" activity. We met at the church.  The ward mission leader's wife had printed out a list of options to go along with what we had already thought about doing.  There was a table with a bucket filled with long-stem flowers, hand made book bags, a stack of books, ice water in bottles, etc.  Lots of things to share. 

Each family put their name on a slip of paper which was put into a box.  One of the children drew out the names so two families went together.  Dear One and I got to go with the bishop and his wife.

Things we did:

Took bottles of bubbles to a family who lived next door to the bishop where he knew there were several small children.

Went to the house of the very elderly father of the bishop and washed his car.  Washed ours, too!

Went to a skate park to give bottles of ice water and "rooting for you" root beer to the young people there.

Went to the home of an elderly lady and gave her some flowers and visited a few moments.

Took two bags of returnable bottles to a family where two young boys are saving money for cub scout day camp.

That was all we had time for before heading back to the church for the wrap up and light refreshments.  A good time was had by all.

It was at the skate park where the mishap took place.  I had just handed my bottle to to the bishop's wife when down I went, all the way to the ground. Not even just on all fours, but all flat, well, as flat as you can get when you are as round as I am...! Fortunately it was not cement, but it WAS very sharp and hard bark mulch meant to keep the grass at bay, which it was doing very very well, I must say!    With both Dear One and the bishop giving me a hand, I was able to rise up onto my feet again amidst cries of, "Are you okay?"  Well, of course, I was okay.  Just miffed that I had been focussing on the project and not watching my feet.  It turns out the mulch was covering up a water plug.  I would like to say it was six inches deep but it was less that three inches, probably only an inch deep, but for some reason my foot saw fit to drop be right to the ground.

It was noted that the skin did not look broken so I was probably okay.  Well, I really was okay but kind of embarrassed, except at the time it was almost as if I was not there so it was not humiliating embarrassment.  Strange feeling.  I hope not to have that feeling again.

As you can see, it was not much of an injury, but rather disconcerting.  When we finally arrived home, I thought I should put some first aid spray on it to keep any unpleasant germs away.  Didn't have any, so off I went to find some.  Well, and on the way there were several other things I thought I should do.  Arriving home four hours later with a depleted exchequer and totally exhausted, I put some of the "no sting" first aid liquid on the non-broken-skin leg.  Well...someone lied!  There was a LOT of stinging, so I rather think the skin was broken somewhere.  And whoever thought they would put the "no sting" tag on that bottle of goop must be laughing up his sleeve when he thinks about all the people who are surprised by the amount of sting they actually get.  Meany.

What a baby I am....

As you can see, it was no big thing.  Hope it does not happen again, though.  I might not be so lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: