About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Mission Sewing: Handmade Buttonholes


My sister gave me a gorgeous green blouse that I love.  I feel so elegant in it.  I have worn it so much that the threads on two of the buttonholes disappeared.  Our mother taught us how to make buttonholes back in the very old days, so I got some sort of matching thread and gave it a try. 

It was slow going at first.  Plus my fingers went numb from holding the needle so tightly.  Add to that the issue of eyesight being on the elderly end of the spectrum, the buttonholes are not fabulous or even good, but they will be hidden behind the buttons so I am not too unhappy.  Now I can wear the blouse again.

You can see where the original threads were located.  This made a good template for stitching.



This is a view of when my fingers remembered how to stitch a homemade buttonhole.

This is the second buttonhole, completed.

As you can see, not a great job, but it will hold the button in place nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: