About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, February 13, 2019

Surprising New Food!

Last week I got a bug for some roasted beets.  The only beets in the store had the greens still attached.  I bought them anyway.  Good idea!

After scrubbing the beets, preparing them for roasting, and putting them in the oven, I decided I would take off the red stems and throw them in the cast iron skillet along with a large sliced onion, a little bit of olive oil, and the beet leaves.  I stirred and cooked for a bit then put the cover on.

When I came back the onions, the beet leaves, and the red stems all seemed soft and possibly yummy.  After putting them in a bowl and tossing in a little coarse freshly ground pink Himalayan salt, this is what I had:


It really was SO GOOD!!  A huge surprise.  Even the red stems were good. I had figured they would be tough and unpleasant but no, they also were good.  Sometimes trying to use up everything turns out so well.  (I have had it go the other way, too, in fact, quite often, but this time was great.)  I think I will be buying beets again soon. 

And the roasted beets were also delicious.  Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: