About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Kale is Really Hard to Kill!

We planted some curly kale starts on our back porch last fall.  We had kale through the winter. A month or so ago I harvested what I thought was the last of the kale and pulled up the four plants that were still in the container on the porch.  (I wanted to use the container for something else..)

Dear One suggested that I not just leave the poor plants lying there on the deck but to try planting them in the raised bed/square foot garden on the lawn.  I had absolutely no thought that anything would come of this but since there was room in the lawn garden I took them down and put them into the Mel's Mix.

There did not seem to be a downside of planting them out there.  They had been lying on the porch for several days drying out, on they way to the compost pile (a thing that is prohibited by our HOA so we don't have one!!! R-r-r!).  There were lots of small started kale plants  from the seeds I had put into pots in the dining room so I put them into the garden as well and turned the former kale container into a lettuce bed.


When I was out in the garden, this is what I found a month later!!!  The plants are NOT dead!  Also the tops are filling out.  We shall see if this amounts to more than tiny little leaves. I will give these plants as much time as they need to grow into good kale!  Such a happy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: