About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, May 8, 2020

Food Friday: Quick and Easy Instant Pot Spanish Rice

Dear One has been asking for Spanish Rice.  I happened onto a recipe that used the Instant Pot.  I am all for Instant Pot, so I gave it a try.  The following is my take on the dish.  Below you will see even more changes than what I noted in the recipe!

Instant Pot Spanish Rice

2 cups long grain brown rice, uncooked
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth or water
2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2 finely diced red peppers
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon granulated onion
1 cup chopped cilantro

Put everything in the Instant Pot.  Stir well.  Cook on HIGH pressure for 25 minutes then let release pressure NATURALLY.

Quick and easy to put together.  No muss, no fuss about timing as long as you set to HIGH pressure.  When it is done releasing pressure it is ready to eat.

Leftover Spanish Rice in a pint widemouth mason jar.  I prefer glass for storing food.  Works great and preserves better than plastic containers.


It was really okay but Dear One felt it was lacking flavor though it was really quite edible as is.  He just thought we could do better.  I probably won't put in the 1 cup of cilantro next time, either, since I did not enjoy that particular flavor as much as I thought I would.

NEXT TIME:  We will put in 1-2 teaspoons chili powder, 1 teaspoon ground cumin, and one onion finely diced (Dear One does NOT like to bite into a cooked onion.  Or a raw one, for that matter.  He does not get all huffy about it, but he does not enjoy them, so why not just chop them finely in that fabulous little Ninja Express chopped my sister gave me?  It works so great.) since onions add a lot of great flavor.  The granulated onion is better than nothing, but does not give a real big pop of flavor.

There will be a next time, maybe even over the weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: