About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, August 31, 2020

Munchie Monday: Semi-Vegan Brownies

 We were going to the home of friends and planned to take a treat.  Dear One has been actively asking for sweets...having been watching The Great British Baking Show for some time.  So I decided to make some brownies.

The first batch of brownies was mostly not great.  They were certainly eat-able but not the best.  I had replaced the eggs with flax eggs and the oil with applesauce.  You had to eat them with a spoon.  They tasted fine though.

The second batch I made with flax eggs and the oil the recipe called for.  And by recipe, I mean what it said on the back of the box!  I really prefer box brownies to homemade ones. At least the homemade ones I make.  Those tend to be dry. Few things nastier than dry brownies, in my opinion.

So, the brownies looked really good.  While they were cooling I made some Fudge Frosting.

1 pound 10XXX/Confectioners sugar
1/2 cup butter (real butter--this is where the semi-vegan comes in...butter is NOT VEGAN!)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
4-6 Tablespoons soy milk (you can use regular milk if that is all you have--just another way to make this non-vegan)

In a double boiler place all the ingredients and carefully stir until the butter melts and the mixture is very smooth.  It will look luscious and shiny.  Carefully pour immediately over the brownies and spread with an offset spatula if you are lucky enough to have one.

Let sit on the counter until the fudge hardens.  Cut and enjoy.  


This is what these brownies looked like!  As you can see, the fudge frosting was about as thick as the brownies.  Perhaps I should have baked the brownies in a square pan instead of a 9 by 13 pan...?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: