About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Yarn Project Begins, An Old Story

Here is a picture of the wool from a very large afghan which was crocheted with two strands of Hilda Yates' wonderful Bartlettyarn held together and crocheted with a large crochet hook in 2009.  When we got here to South Carolina it was immediately obvious that we did not need such a heavy wool afghan.  So I took it apart.  That sounds pretty easy, since it was crochet.  Well, it was not quite as easy as you might have thought.  Certainly not as quick and easy I as expected.  But I managed it after a while...first in the dining room using the dining room chairs for winding, then in the upstairs man cave. (Yes, he let me do this project there.  He really is very kind and generous with his space.  And stuff.)



This is the huge bundle of yarn that I started separating and turning into balls.  It took several evenings last week sitting in front of NetFlix to get the balls all wound with only one strand of the yarn.


This is the basket of yarn cakes after winding them on the Stanwood yarn winder which I love.  Of course, today before I took the picture, I found one more ball of yarn that needs to be made into a yarn cake.  Isn't that always the way!!!  You think you finished a project and, no, another part of it smacks you in the face.  

Well, it is a small matter to haul the box with the yarn winder in it out of the closet in the work room, pull out the plank I clamp it to, take them all into our bedroom where the wonderful empty table is, then get the yarn and start winding.

 In process of time I have actually gotten smarter.  Now I put the ball of yarn in a high-sided basket so it does not run all over the floor and even out the door and down the stairs as I am winding.  That sort of tricky business by the yarn ball does rather get my goat.  Mostly because I cannot believe I am that foolish.  Well, no more!  Now I always use a basket.  Goes much easier!

Now I am ready to re-purpose this yarn.  Maybe a sweater for winter.  No need for a coat down here. At least, last winter no coats were needed...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: