About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Knitting Today: Number Nine Mini Nordic Sweater Started

As usual, the photograph is pitiful but here is the beginning of Mini Nordic Sweater number 9.

 

You can clearly see one end of a circular knitting needle with a curve-y beige cable.  That curve-y cable is annoying. I believe the cure is a very hot water bath, but I have not gotten to it.  When I do, I will report how it worked.

In the meantime,  this little sweater is actually a tiny gift bag (though I do not know what sort of gift will be placed therein...probably a hard candy since chocolate may not travel well...).  It starts with a closed cast-on.  The cast on I used was Judy's Magic Cast On.  It took some little while (maybe six minis!) to get it but now I can comfortably cast on every time without having to remove the stitches and start again.

There are multiple people on YouTube who teach Judy's Magic Cast On but I like Judy herself doing it the best.  AND every time I watch this, or even think about this cast on, I think of Cat Bordhi who is the one who introduced it to me many years ago.  Cat Bordhi's death was a real loss to the knitting world and to all who knew her.  I never got to take an in-person class from her, which is a big regret that I have.  I am sure she has a wonderful knitting circle in Heaven.  I will join her there when the time comes! If you can take your knitting needles with you...

One note about these little sweaters:  I have decided to keep the arms plain/without Fair Isle work which is not the way they were designed but-- 1.  I want to get these done sometime this millennium and 2. I really like the look of them so much better.  I hate to use the word, BUT. with only the body in Fair Isle,  the stitches pop so much better without the sleeves all clobbered up with multi-colored stitches.  In my opinion.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: