About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, May 23, 2022

Munchie Monday: Biscuit Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies

 Today I was out on errands at the church and other places.  As I was driving home I thought of the biscuit mix sitting on the counter.  Biscuit mix that I saw was slightly past its prime date so I wanted to use it up faster than normal.  I wondered if I could use it to make chocolate chip cookies, a perennial favorite at our house.

What do you do when you have questions?  Go to the internet!  There I found many recipes, almost all using the name brand biscuit mix.  This is what I did (even though it was store brand mix) which was pretty close to the recipe.

Biscuit Mix Chocolate Chip Cookies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a large bowl place one stick very soft butter which already had been shortened by 1 Tablespoon for popcorn last night.  Add 1 cup brown sugar and stir very well.  If you want to go to the extra work and dishes, etc, you can get out your stand mixer and really slosh the butter and brown sugar around, but it worked fine in the bowl.  Add 2 caps full of Mexican vanilla and stir until smooth again.

Add 2 1/3 cups biscuit mix and four handfuls of chocolate chips...probably a little over a cup of chips.  Stir well.  Theoretically the chocolate chips will be enrobed in flour and not drop to the bottom of the dough while cooking.

Using a large cookie scoop, make 12 piles of cookie dough on a half sheet pan. I happened to have a Wilton non-stick cookie pan that we purchased on our last vacation for some unknown-to-me-now reason.  With the twelve piles sitting happily there I gently pushed down on the tops so they were about 1/2 inch thick/all the same thickness.

Put in the oven and set timer for 9 minutes.  The recipes I saw said to cook 8-10 minutes but they did not make big cookies. I checked at the timer and they were definitely not ready. Another 3 minutes and not cooked.  One last 2 1/2 minutes and they were ready.  Slightly browned around the edges. 

When cooled mostly, remove from cookie sheet and let cool completely if you can.


After consuming a nice warm cookie, I deemed them okay to take to a friend who might need brightening up then gave a cookie to Dear One.  Who, of course, asked what it was! Instead of giving him a snarky response, I actually told him it was a chocolate chip cookie. I also asked him if I would make him anything else.  He said, "Yes!  A broccoli cookie."  Of all the nerve!  As if...!  Well, if I knew how to make one, I might!  I am up for getting as much broccoli into both of us as possible. I have heard that nitric oxide in the broccoli opens up blood vessels and keeps them supple and healthy. An aging person would really appreciate that, I think.  At least I would.  

In the absence of a broccoli cookie recipe, I will just eat broccoli I steam in the microwave for 4 minutes in the Tupperware or Pampered Chef microwave container that I found a couple of years ago on Amazon.  It turns out it is Pampered Chef.   It is WAY more expensive than when I bought ours!  However, I love it.  I even use it to microwave plain popcorn...fill the bottom of the dish with kernels then microwave for 2.5 minutes or until the popping stops.  You can then use the container as your bowl. One-dish meal!  If you can eat popcorn as a meal.  Which we do sometimes...several times this week.  Lazy slug week...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: