About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, May 2, 2022

Munchie Monday: Egg Salad Goldenrod!

 Last week there was a funeral meal that I helped prepare.  There was some leftover egg salad.  I did not want to eat it as a sandwich and since Dear One and our whole family used to love Eggs Goldenrod for breakfast, I thought I would try making Egg Salad Goldenrod.  Yes, I know it sounds a little strange, but it did work.

For the sauce I used 2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk and about 4 Tablespoons cornstarch mixed with about 1/2 cup water that I stirred together then cooked on the stovetop until thick. At that point I added half a teaspoon each of onion and garlic granules.  You will notice I did not use any butter or oil in making this white sauce BECAUSE there was plenty of fat in the egg salad.

When the sauce was ready I introduced a cup or so of the leftover egg salad and stirred well. I turned off the heat, hoping the mix would be heated through.

Prior to making the sauce and the goldenrod, I had made some quick biscuits.

2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup plain unsweetened almond milk

Stirred all together then used the 1/4 cup portion scoop to scoop it into the nifty silicon muffin pan that has rigid/supportive sides then baked at 450 degrees F. for about 8 minutes.  They came out great! AND they were ready just as I finished the goldenrod sauce.


Dear One arrived on the scene after having completed his bike ride and humored me by sitting down at the table immediately even though he would have love to have just sat in his chair and recuperated a bit first.  He pronounced the food nice.

This makes me happy. For myself, the flavors and textures were fine BUT the oil in the biscuits and the mayonnaise and egg yolks in the goldenrod were too heavy a load for my belly so I resolved not to eat more than the one serving. Ever again, actually!

Yes, it may look a little strange but it was not bad at all...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: