About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Knitting Today: Spa Headband


 Many years ago I was visiting our daughter in Logan, Utah.  She was attending Utah State University.  As we were getting ready for bed she put on a wide headband before washing her face and putting on night cream.  I thought that was a great idea.  Having said that, I never purchased such a headband and I never made one.  Until today!

As I was talking with my sister  before she returned home, I told her I thought the coconut oil and frankincense she had given me this summer was good for my skin...but that my hair always got into and became oily and icky.  For some reason that reminded me of our daughter's headband. I started looking on YouTube for a knitted spa headband.  And found one.  Only one.  Lots of fabric ones.  Lots of crocheted ones.  One knitted one.  Probably there are more there but I tired of looking and wanted to get on with it!

As it happens I had already started packing up the car to go home so it was not such a slog in the morning but I had retained a ball of cotton yarn and my little knitting tools bag which included the new VERY EXPENSIVE crochet hook I purchased when we arrive on the island last week for a crochet project I was going to try.  More about that later...!

The headband has only fifteen stitches on the needles and starts with a crocheted provisional cast on. I had to try this cast on a couple times before the stitches were even but then it went like a charm.

The pattern stitch is a forgotten rib or some such thing.  An easy two-row repeat for 18 inches then Kitchener stitch bind off.  Set up row is Knit Across. Row 1: Slip 1 purlwise, K1, P1 across ending K1.

Row 2: Slip 1 purlwise, Knit Across.

That is it.

YouTube Megan whose pattern this is made a tiny "headband" which she put around the middle of the headband to make it cute.  I did not.  Shortly after finishing it I did put it on and slathered the coconut oil and frankincense onto my face.  It took quite a while to sink into my skin but right now my skin feels soft as a baby's behind. Well, one side of my face-the one which had the ghastly chemo cream treatment this year.  The other side is now rougher, even though it was only a year and a half ago that I had that treatment. Oh, well.

More on the headband:  I used US #8 needles and Sugar and Cream worsted weight yarn because these were in my bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: