About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, September 26, 2019

New Book: Undo It! by Dean Ornish, MD and Anne Ornish

With the many health webinars I have watched in the last year or so I have come to respect the information I have received from several people.  Most notably is Dr. Dean Ornish.  He has written quite a few books over the years, all with the eye to helping us return to good health and live long, happy, and productive lives.

On Tuesday I saw his new book which includes a program that is so good that insurance companies will underwrite the cost of that program in the medical centers where it is presented.  I contacted the closest one to us, which was not close at all, but was probably do-able, but it turns out I don't qualify for the program, thankfully.  (You need a cardiac diagnosis which fortunately I don't have...though I have all the other eligible diagnoses.)

This is the book:


On Monday I ordered it from Amazon ($11 for hardback). It arrived Tuesday morning before I left for my doctor appointment.  We are supposed to arrive fifteen minutes early for our appointments. I was there ten minutes early with book in hand.  As I waited in the waiting room for an hour, and in the office itself for another forty minutes, I had plenty of time to get into the book.

For this book I decided to start at the beginning and just go through it instead of skipping around as I often do in non-fiction. I got to page 46 before I was seen.  By then I was so excited about the  book that I told my medical practitioner.  While in the outer office I had noted that most of the people who came out of the inner door had a similar physique as mine.  Or worse. I told her I thought it could be a blessing to lots of her patients.  She took down the name and author and will give it a check.

There is science in the book but don't let that throw you off.  When there are "big words" there are explanations in parentheses which make the book understandable to the non-scientific reader.

May I say that I am so enthusiastic about changing my lifestyle that I went out for a walk first thing this morning, even though it was already 75 degrees out. I have come back after a 36-minute walk sweating like a pig but happy. 

When I read on page 43 that eating just one meal can make a huge difference in your health,  either pro or con, I decided I am going to throw out all the fatty things in the freezer and some other things as well. 

Let's read this book together and get healthy once and for all.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: