About The Country Wife Blog

Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Wednesday Wonders

The Young Women, their leaders, and some of the women in our ward, including me, are working on a 12-week finish-your-personal-progress program.  I thought it sounded like a good idea to do this...a way of self-improvement and a plan to try to become more regimented.

Each day the president of the Young Women organization sends a text out to all participants with assignments and encouragement.  Besides reading scriptures and other good resources,  there are things to do and goals to meet including writing in a journal PLUS a 10-hour project.  The first project was a Faith Project (the Young Women have virtues they work on to make an integral part of their lives, faith being the first one).

For my faith project I decided to finish two knitting projects I had started ages ago.  I thought I would have plenty of time but still I really did rather have my nose to the grindstone every day.  In the end I took nearly thirty hours to complete this project!


What we have here is a pair of socks, knit from the toe up using a cast-on from Cat Bordhi's book Personal Footprints with two socks at the same time on two circular needles US Size 2, then plain knitting for the insole part (including using a VERY tiny circular needle (US Size 0) on the bottom of the foot to make it more squishy and lovely to walk on).  For the heel I took the pattern from Cat Bordhi's Sweet Tomato Heel book.  The heels are wonderful and fit so well.  After that the leg was just knit2, purl2 with the leg being a little less than seven inches tall.  The socks look rather wonky but they fit very very nicely.  (And I have another pair just like them in the drawer!!!  Except they do NOT fit well and are pretty awful. I will probably pull them out and knit a matching pair that fit.)

The little doll is a Comfort Doll for which I received the pattern many years ago from a lady who encouraged volunteers to make them to send to the children in Biafra.  I made some at the time and had started another as a demo for someone but never got to finish it.  Now it is done. Dear One thought I should put more than eyes on the face, but there we differed.  Mainly because I was too lazy to find other yarn.  I could not make a blue nose or blue lips.  Well, I guess I could have but I preferred just leaving it with eyes.

The Faith project end goal was this past Sunday.  I happened to wake up at 4:44 that morning and popped out of bed to finish the last inch of the leg and cast off.  After Church I wove in the ends then stuffed and finished the doll.  Finished on time.

May I say that it was a wonderful experience to study, record, work toward a goal, and finish in good season. Sort of good season.  Even though it just about killed me.

Now we are on to another project these next two weeks.  I will tell NO ONE what that project is because finishing it in two weeks is almost an impossibility...but then, I was not sure about the last one. That is what faith is all about...after all.  Feel totally free to pray for my stick-to-it-ive-ness . AND that my computer will cooperate.  Currently, it is giving me fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: