About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, September 23, 2019

Munchie Monday: Oil Free Pesto

With the basil on our deck doing so well, I decided to find an oil-free pesto recipe.  I found one on the Oh She Glows page.  I have her cookbook and love it, thanks to my niece Mitsi for pointing it out to me many years ago.  WELL, Oh She Glows had just what I needed.

My iteration is a little different AND IT IS SCRUMPTIOUS!!!  I know, I know.  I always say that, but this time it really is delicious.

You need a food processor or maybe a blender. I used the Cuisinart food processor for the first time since she moved into our house and was washed.

In the food processor bowl with the metal S-blade, put:

1 PACKED cup of basil, including the stems.  Lots of flavor in the stems.
2 large cloves garlic, paper skin removed
1 can (15-ounce) cannellini beans mostly drained.  Save the water just in case you need it later.
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
3 Tablespoons lemon juice.  I used it from a bottle since I had no fresh lemons.
1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
1/2 cup walnut pieces.

Pulse several times then process until smooth and uniformly green.  I stopped the machine twice to scrape down the sides.



This is so good. I could just eat it with a spoon...and that said, there is nothing in it to make that a bad idea!  Regular pesto, the kind with lots of oil in it, hurts my tummy.  It also adds pounds to my body, so this pesto is a win-win situation.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: