About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Final 2020 Garden Harvest!

 Last week was pretty busy.  I decided it was time to pick the basil from all the plants and put them into the dehydrator.  I waited one day too long!  The next day when I was ready to do the picking  this is what I saw:


As you see, not only was the delicate basil deader than a doornail, so were all the tomato plants.  (The only plant that did not die was the deadly nightshade which you can see over the left shoulder of the deck chair.  You could have knocked me down with a feather the day I saw, and recognized, the deadly nightshade growing up beside the tomato plant.  I guess it is true that tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, though why a deadly nightshade plant came up in a potted tomato I purchased at Simpson's Hardware from the Bonnie Plants people, I do not know!) A week before I had found a bird pecking at the nicely ripening tomatoes so I flapped my own wings at him and sent him on his way, brought in all the tomatoes with any color (four of them!) and thought no more about it.

The day the killing frost came was the day when I harvested the last of the green tomatoes.  There were more hidden in the lush foliage than I had realized.


Here they are sitting on the kitchen counter, hopefully to ripen comfortably.  If those beauties begin to look a little iffy, I will turn them into fried green tomatoes, and eat them all myself!  Dear One would not eat a fried green tomato on a bet. 

 UNLESS I did not turn them into fried green tomatoes but into Green Tomato Mincement!!!  That stuff is so good.  Well, not good FOR you, but rich and luscious and makes a great pie or bread of some kind.  We shall see.  Things are a bit hectic currently so...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: