About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

The Ants are Marching. Again.

 Last week we had ants on the island in our kitchen.  Actually, we have had ants off and on ever since before the exterminator came three months ago.  We had to have a special appointment since not all their exterminators are allowed to go inside houses for some reason.  Well, those prior ants never totally disappeared.

Now last week we had MORE ants.  They were a different brand of ants.  Actually, they were very similar in appearance to the nasty fire ants that got my goat at harvest time.  Not quite, but about the same size and dark two-toned-bodies ants.

When I was swimming on Friday, Ruby told me to use grits to get rid of them.  So I sprinkled a few grits on the counter when I got home from the YMCA pool.  Then next morning one whole section of the counter was empty of the grits and there were only 2 or 3 ants there. I was just plain thrilled!  I was so thrilled that I thought I would put more grits out in case there were a few more ants to kill, which I did Saturday night before going to bed.

Sunday morning I went downstairs and found a HIGHWAY of ants coming and going!  I almost threw up.  The one good thing was that finally I discovered where they were entering the kitchen.  At least, I learned ONE PLACE they were entering the kitchen.  

On Sunday morning, later, after the ant interstate discovery, Dear One and I were to speak in Church.  We were to speak on Gratitude.  He did a wonderful job.  I gave an okay talk.  I had practiced it and timed it and found it took 8 minutes to give. I figured it would be a little longer when I was actually at the podium.  Since Dear One said his talk would be short, I decided to write up a list of things for which I was grateful to use if I had time to share a few of them before the meeting needed to end.  There was time.

The final thing I mentioned being grateful for was grits.  Those same grits that Ruby had told me about.  I mentioned the army of ants that came to pick up the newly scattered grits.  Because we stream our meetings on Facebook, several kind people who watched from home sent me condolences as well as more ant-extermination suggestions. I am so grateful for all of them.  

One Monday morning there were no ants so I figured they were gone.  Not so.  I was passing the island after supper (and I use the term "supper" loosely...we just munched out on the Chex Mix I had just made...) I saw there were a few ants again.  THAT WAS IT!!!  I got in the car and drove to Dollar General in the dark (something I am not fond of doing-driving in the dark in the city) where I purchased the last bottle of ant killer that sweet Sister C. mentioned. She also sent a picture so I would get the right thing.


 It was as if someone knew I was coming for this killing powder because it was right at the front of the shelf apart from all the other bottles of killers.  It was the only one of its kind there.

When I got home I immediately shook up the bottle then sprayed it out at the entrance and exit to the island.


You can see that I might have been a little on the "over-kill" side of the project but I WANT THOSE ANTS GONE!!  For good.

Now I am going to call the exterminator and get him to come and do a complete-house ant-killing application...

This is a very small problem on the spectrum of problems.  We are fortunate to have a house to live in, after all.  But I don't want to share it with ants.  Or any other bugs.  Not a bug fan.  So glad some of our grandchildren love bugs.  It gives them hours of pleasure observing. Not me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: