About The Country Wife Blog

Friday, December 18, 2020

Food Friday: Instant Pot Grits!

 Remember the story I told the other day about grits and the ants?  Well, today I am telling a story about grits to eat.  And the Instant Pot.  Cooking grits on the stove is a stand-over-the-pot job.  I thought I would see if grits would work in the Instant Pot.  They DO!!!

For this recipe I used the 3-quart IP.  In the liner bowl I put:

1 cup stoneground white grits (gift from a wonderful friend!)
2 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cup plain soy milk
1 1/2 teaspoon Pink Himalayan salt
2 Tablespoons  butter
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

I turned the pot on to the Sauté feature and stirred until the butter had melted.  At that point I set the IP to HIGH pressure for 15 minutes and walked away to do other things.  I finally got back after the pressure had released naturally and was all the way up to 53 minutes on the timer.  There is no need to wait that long!. 

When I opened the pot, I found a few clumps that I stirred in well to break them up then served in bowls.  Dear One wolfed his down.  No, sorry, that was me who wolfed it down!  Dear One ate his and maybe had another spoonful but I had moved on to a ministering interview and was not paying attention.

Later on Dear One asked, "So, grits are just cornmeal?"  I said, "Yes, more or less."

In fact, my mother used to make us cornmeal mush to vary the tedium of cooked oatmeal.  We had it with brown sugar and butter on it.  We did not mind that.  Having said that, I myself MUCH prefer grits with salt and pepper.  And now, nutritional yeast.  I was really impressed with this recipe.

You might like it, too!


Next time I will melt the butter in the liner bowl on the Sauté feature while stirring in the grits. AFTER that is done and the grains all seem to be coated, then add in everything else.

NOTE: I made a second batch and did it right.  So good!  PLUS--some devil asked me if I had ever had fried grits, which I had not.  The person then told me how to make them. THEY SOUND SO GOOD...but I am not going to make them.  Instead,  I took the cooled grits from the bowl, chopped them up and put them on a baking sheet.  Popped them in the oven at 400 degrees F for 45 minutes.  They are truly wonderful.  I hope I don't eat them all before taking them upstairs for Dear One to have a chance at them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: