About The Country Wife Blog

Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Food Success! Yippee Yi Yo!!!

 Yesterday I saw a recipe for Vegan Alfredo Sauce.  I had made some once from a different cook.  It was pretty nasty. This one was not at all nasty!  Dear One ate a reasonable serving. THEN he took an even larger second serving.  Made me happy, I can tell you!

There are several steps to the recipe, all easy but several steps.

The whole recipe will not go here but I will tell you the ingredients as I used them.  Jessica's are a little different so you might like hers better:

12 ounces pasta-we had spaghetti purchased for $0.25/pound. I worried it would not be good but it was.
1 sweet Vidalia onion, diced
 1 cup raw cashews soaked in plain water overnight
1/4 cup pasta cooking water
1 1/2 cup plain unsweetened WestSoy soy milk
4 cloves ROASTED just before you use them garlic!
2 Tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons vegan parm
1 Tablespoon lime juice

First thing to do is start roasting the head of garlic. I put a sheet of parchment paper on top of a sheet of foil, placed the garlic bulb on top...though I cut off a little bit of the top first.  I did put in a teaspoon or so of vegetable oil before closing up the package though I won't use the oil next time. Then I put it in the oven to roast at 450 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Next put the pasta water heating.  When boiling add your pasta and cook the way you like it.  Drain and return to pan.  We poured the sauce over the pasta, tossed, and served.

To make the sauce, dry sautée the onion until soft and golden, about five minuted, stirring often.  Place the cooked onion, drained and rinsed cashews, pasta water, soy milk, roasted garlic, nutritional yeast, salt, vegan parm, and lime juice in food processor.  You can use a high speed bender but it is more of a pain to remove the sauce from it so I went with the food processor.  Process until very smooth.  Ours processed probably 8-10 minutes. I did not time it.  I was doing other stuff at the time.

When the sauce is really smooth and the pasta is cooked and drained as mentioned elsewhere, pour on the sauce.  Sit down at the table with your bib and tucker on and dig it.  You will almost certainly like it.

This picture is of the pasta when the sauce has just been added and not very well stirred in but with steam rising so the picture is yet another not-good-picture.  Please don't ask me to photograph your children or pets or wedding, You will be sorely disappointed!

Vegan Parm Recipe

3/4 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic (you have to watch me like a hawk: I first listed 1/2 CUP granulated garlic...)
1/4 teaspoon granulated onion
1/2 teaspoon regular iodized salt

This is also Jessica's recipe which you will find when you go to her page linked above.  For us, I just put all the ingredients in the food processor and pulsed until pretty much parm-like.  I put it in a one-cup jelly jar with a plastic lid and am storing it in the refrigerator


Just so you can see the quantity and appearance of this vegan parm.  Pretty nice stuff.  You could use it to sprinkle on many different savory foods.


1 comment:

  1. Wow. That is a lot of work! Congratulations on another job well done.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here: