About The Country Wife Blog

Monday, January 17, 2022

Munchie Monday: Three Ingredient Flat Bread!

 Today I saw a video that showed how to make a "quick and easy" flat bread.  I was thinking burrito in a big way and since we had the ingredients, plus some leftover refried beans in the refrigerator, I decided to make this flat bread.

Well...this did not turn out the way I was expecting!

The person in the video used whole wheat flour but said you could use any kind of flour you have on hand, including almond flour.  Since I did not have any whole wheat flour ground up and we DID have two bags of almond flour for some reason, I used almond flour in place of the whole wheat flour. I do not recommend it.

The recipe I made was:

1 cup almond flour
1 cup warm cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix all together.  It will  be somewhat sticky.

When I started mixing the dough I put the cast iron skillet over a medium flame to heat.  Using extra almond flour on the counter I rolled out the flat bread then plopped it into the hot skillet.  The girl on the video said to cook two minutes then flip and cook two more minutes.

This is the first two flat breads! It looked burned but did not taste burned.


This is not what I was thinking we were going to get!  I did eat a few of the crumbs and they tasted really good, so I tried again.

This time I got out our cast iron tortilla press:

To be successful making tortillas in this press you need to split open a gallon-sized Ziplock bag to line the press.  Put in a ball of the dough between the Ziplock "sheets", close the lid, and give it a press.  Take out the flat bread/tortilla and slap it on the griddle.

This did not work the first time because the dough ball was too small.  The tortilla was so thin I could not get it off the plastic so back to the drawing board.  The second time I ALSO put flour on the bottom of the plastic.  That worked better but the final flat bread I put more almond flour on the plastic then even  MORE almond flour on top of the dough ball before pressing. This worked out better.



This is how the "burrito" turned out!  More like a burrito plate!  AND we needed a fork to eat it because the flat bread was so tender.  It tasted great!  To me.  Dear One said he would prefer not to have so many "interesting" meals, just plain old store-bought tortillas.  Now, this is disappointing, but since I love him, I will honor his request. To some extent, at least!

 This does not mean I will stop trying. I will just make regular flour tortillas which I make and cannot keep ahead of his eating of the hot off the griddle tortillas!  I can make the interesting ones for myself and let him try them if he chooses...

1 comment:

  1. Morning Pattie! I'm concerned about the hot plastic, albiet I've never used a press. What about 2 sheets of parchment?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment here: