About The Country Wife Blog

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Another Test Knit: Socks This Time

 It may be remembered that I said I was not going to do another test knit until I had finished all my current knitting projects.  Well, that fell by the wayside.  YarnPond had a pair of socks up for test knitting again.  This was a pair that sort of caught my eye.  At least it was not too weird, which some of them are.  Weird enough that they look like they would be uncomfortable to wear.  These are pretty close to plain vanilla socks.

Since I had two fingering weight yarns available, I applied for the test and found the next day that I had been accepted as a test knitter.  It turned out I did NOT have the right sized needles so I ordered them quick as a bunny yesterday.  They arrived today.

After accomplishing some important work including a visit to a new mother with one of our Relief Society counselors, I finished up  my downstairs projects and moved on to test knitting mode.

Three and a half hours later I finished the contrasting yarn toe.  At that point I checked the gauge. R-r-r!  The required gauge is 9 stitches per inch and 12 rows per inch.  My gauge was 6.5 stitches and 10 rows per inch!!!  This means I have to go down a needle size to knit the size I agreed to knit.  Well, not tonight!  The needles are US size 0...!  We shall see.  I really did need the impetus to get some socks knitted before spring...


One good thing about having to rip out that knitting is that I can re-wind the yarn.


Speaking of spring, we have had daffodil sightings PLUS today on the way home, my eyes began to be bothered in the way I recognize as there being pollen in the air.  Early spring, I guess.  Will need to get the hummingbird feeder up soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment here: